API – Making a Payment - Process Overview
Before you can make a payment through the API you must have a loan and a customer set up in LMS. This process is explained here: Create a Loan - Full Process article as well as in the Before You Start section below.
Before you Start
Set Up the Loan and Customer
- Create A Customer. You most likely already have a customer created, but if you don't, this step will be necessary. In order to make a payment, you first need a customer because payment profiles (e.g. a debit card, bank account, etc.) are directly linked to a customer. When creating a customer, make sure you keep track of the customer ID in order to link the payment profile or link the customer to the loan. To create a customer through the API, see these resources: API - Create A Customer, Create New Customer Endpoint
- Create a Loan. In order to process a payment through LMS, you'll also need to create a loan. (You can even create a loan and a customer at the same time, which will automatically link the two, letting you skip the next step). Here are some resources to help you create a loan through the API: Create New Loan, API - Create a Loan
- Link the Customer to a Loan. In order to make a payment using a customer's payment profile, you should make sure the customer is linked to a loan. Here are some resources explaining how to do this: Link Customer to a Loan Endpoint, Linking and Unlinking Customers and Loans
Set Up Payment Profile
Before you can process a payment, you need a payment profile (a specific bank card or bank account) and that payment profile must be linked to a customer.
- Create A Payment Profile. In order to process a payment, you will need either a credit card or bank account that is linked to your customer. To maintain PCI compliance, payment profiles must be created in Secure Payments and then linked to the customer. To create a payment profile, see the following resources: Add Payment Profiles (iframes), Create Checking Account. When the payment profile is created, Secure Payments will generate a unique token that is used to link it back to the customer in LMS.
- Link the Payment Profile to the Customer. Because the payment profile was created in Secure Payments, you must now link it to your LoanPro customer. In order to do that, you'll need the payment profile token that Secure Payments gave you during the creation, as well as the ID of the customer who the payment profile will be linked to. Here are some resources about linking a payment profile: Add New Payment Profile Endpoint
Process the Payment
Payments can be made in LMS in two ways. It's important to understand the difference.
Log a Payment - Logging a payment is simply making a record of a transaction that occurred on a loan. This will not pull any money from a card or an account, but will create a record of a transaction where money was exchanged. This type of payment is used in cases such as
- Customer pays in cash
- Customer pays with a check/money order
- Customer pays with a card, but the card transaction is processed outside of LMS
Process a Payment - Processing a payment in LMS will initiate a transaction that will actually pull money from the customer's card or account. This will create a record of the transaction just like logging a payment, but will also pull money. This type of payment should be used only if you want LMS to initiate a transaction that will actually pull money from the customer's card or account. Here is an article that covers how to process a payment through the API: API - Processing a Payment